This is the story of my daughter Oliana who was born blind. To read her complete story start with the blog titled Oli's birth. You can email me at shannongardner@live.com




Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Special Bond

I have one more interesting and special story about the day that Kekoa met his sister. It may be unbelievable but it truly happened.

Seth brought Kekoa to the hospital on Friday afternoon the day after she was born. First he ran around the room, of course, then Seth lifted him up so that he could see her. He looked at her, said "bee-bee" (his word for baby) and gently kissed her on top of the head. What he did next shocked us both and still makes me cry every time I tell this story.

Seth put him on the floor and he immediately closed his eyes and started walking around the room with his hands out in front of him. Like he was blind! It was the most remarkable thing that I have ever seen!

Some people may think that he was just doing it because she had her eyes closed and was sleeping, but I swear to you, he had never done anything like it ever before. I honestly in my heart believe that he knows that she is blind. Still to this day, sometimes after he kisses her he walks around the house with his eyes closed and his hands out in front of him.

From the moment that I saw him do this I knew that he was meant to be her brother. I know that he will always help her and be her eyes and they will share a special bond that will last forever.

By the way, Kekoa was only 17 months old!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oliana is such a cute little thing!That is so cute what Kekoa is doing! He is going to be a great Big Brother! You are guys are such great parents hang in there it will only get better!!!! Wish you the best!!!!! LuAnne always keeps me posted! Lisa Joy~ LuAnne's co-worker!

Anonymous said...

shannon, Sounds like you are doing such a wonderful job with your beautiful baby. Oli and Keo are so lucky to have parents such as yourselves. This is a lucky baby girl to have you......and you to have her. Stay strong and know we think of you often.

HarleyQsMom said...

Shannon-
What a beautiful baby girl you have. Isn't it amazing how having a special baby totally changes you? Please let me know if there is anything you need. I still have a lot of Harley's visual aides (she had cortical blindness) and would love for them to go to someone I know.
-Rebecca Pitts

Anonymous said...

"Lo, children are an heritage from the Lord and the fuit of the womb is His reward." Psalm 127:3


My Cool Supervisor Seth and Your Loving wife---Kekoa's and Oli's Best Mother in the Whole Wide World--- Shannon,

Peace!

Oli came to both of you --- and to Kekoa --- and bonded you all even closer to one another as a precious family!

She was born blind and her affliction bonded each one of you --- with her--- yet unfathomably closer. What a blessing!

I say to you: Indeed, in time, Oli might be able to see--- if not with both eyes, then with one.

However, if time proves both otherwise,just
watch and see. oh,beautiful parents, many a great person ( or personalities )--- in this God's wide earth --- are blind such as, Andrea Bocelli, Stevie Wonder and Helen keller, to name some.

In her own person, by her own right, with her God-given talents (which are yet to manifest), wait and see, Seth! Watch and see, Shannon! Grow and see, "big brother" Kekoa! Oli is one of the b-e-s-t thing that ever happened to all of you.


your friend,
Randy S.

Janet said...

Shannon and Seth,
You have a very cute baby in Oliana, LuAnne was up and showed me pictures. I think Kekoa will amaze you everyday with his help. I think all things happen for a reason and you should blame yourselves. Just take it a day at I time. Being a nurse I'm sure isn't easy somedays, but for Oliana I'm sure it will help. Take care.
Love
Aunt Janet

Janet said...

Sorry I was typing too fast
You SHOULDN'T blame yourselves.