This is the story of my daughter Oliana who was born blind. To read her complete story start with the blog titled Oli's birth. You can email me at shannongardner@live.com




Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Hippotherapy (there are no hippo's involved)

Oliana had her first hippotherapy lesson today.  Hippotherapy is horse back riding therapy for kids with disabilities.  They take all kinds of kids with different developmental delays.  Oliana is going because of her delayed motor development.  The movement of the horse is supposed to help her to learn how it feels to walk correctly.  It will also help her develop her core muscles and teach her to hold onto things better. 

She was so cute today.  She hadn't ever been on a real horse, except for one brief ride on a pony at Bonnie Springs outside Las Vegas.  I thought she would probably cry the first time because she would be on the horse by herself and would have to really use all of her muscles to keep herself steady and move with the horse. There are 4 people that are with her at all times while she's riding.  One person handles the horse, there are 2 side walkers that hold onto her feet (for right now) and make sure she doesn't slip off, and one physical therapist that walks behind her. The PT watches her movements and makes sure she's sitting correctly and tells the side walkers how to adjust her position.

The PT told me before the lesson that Oli would probably only tolerate about 20 minutes of actual riding.  She said that if she had a complete meltdown before then that she would take her off.  I told her that Oli would probably complain a little because it was hard and she might be scared up there alone, but that she needed to push her a little.  Even if she complains.  Boy was I wrong!! She rode a total of 40 minutes and didn't want to get off when it was time to go home. 

They also work on speech while on the horse.  Her first 5 minutes there and she learned a new word.  GO. Oliana's PT today was Nancy.  Nancy carried Oliana up to the platform to get on her horse. Before she got on the horse I heard her telling Oli "Now when you want the horse to go, you have to tell her GO".   She had her feel the horse so she knew what it was.  I didn't hear Oliana say anything.  Nancy put her on the horse.  Oli grabbed the reins and said "GO"!!   They went around the arena a few times, starting and stopping.  Every time the horse stopped I hear Oli say "GO".  Then they went out onto the trails for a while and came back into the arena.  She did great and didn't even fuss. There was no head shaking, hand flapping, or any kind of self stim while she was riding.  Nancy asked her if she wanted more or wanted to be all done.  Oliana didn't say anything.  Then she asked her if she wanted the horse to go or be all done and go and see mommy. I hear Oli yell go and then she starts patting the horse with her hands.  Like she was saying "Come on horse. I'm ready!"  Then went around one more time and as soon as they stopped to have her get off I hear Oli yell "GO!"  Nancy looked at me and just shrugged her shoulders.  "We have to honor her request in order to teach her cause and effect."  Around they went, one more time.  This time when they stopped I yelled for her to come over and see me.  She finally consented to get off the horse and was a very happy little girl.  When we got home my mom asked her if she liked riding the horse.  Oli responded "GO!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that is just so adorable!!! I am so happy to hear that she loved riding the horse!! How often will she be receiving this therapy? Sounds like it will be very helpful for her. How exciting that she wasn't scared this first time. :) Keep it up Oli! We love ya girlie!! :)

Shannon said...

Oli goes to hippotherapy once a week for an hour each time. She's a natural!!

-Shannon

Anonymous said...

It's been a month since you updated last....I hope everything is going well and that both kids are doing great!!

Amiecn said...

Hi Shannon...

Not sure how I came across your blog, but I've enjoyed reading about Oli.

My daughter, Lucy, is also blind (and has micropthalmia) but her main diagnosis is SOD (septo optic dysplasia). You can read about her at http://www.lucydo.com

Lucy also did hippotherapy when she was about 2, but it was a 2 hour drive for a 30 minute ride...so I stopped. I am now working out an arrangement for Lucy to ride with someone near my house.

I subscribed and look forward to reading about Oli's progress.